M6 Epic Wigan – a recent development by db symmetry
Wigan Council has ambitious plans to grow the local economy and attract investment. Developing new employment sites, like symmetry park Wigan, will mean that Wigan gets its share of Greater Manchester’s economic growth and can provide opportunities to the borough’s workforce closer to home. We are developing a deliverable employment scheme for Wigan which will create lasting benefits for the local economy.
Why do we need a logistics hub in Wigan?
- Wigan Council Employment Land Need: the Council’s recent Employment Land Position Statement has identified a real shortage of employment sites of a suitable size and location in the borough to meet its future needs. The study demonstrates an immediate need for a new high-quality logistics site which is accessible to the M6 corridor.
- Greater Manchester Spatial Framework (GMSF): the strategy identifies a need for nearly 4 million square metres of industrial and warehousing floorspace up to 2035. The M6 corridor in Wigan is identified as a key strategic location to meet this need. The Junction 25 site is proposed for employment given direct access to the M6 slip road.
- Changing shopping habits: Our shopping habits are rapidly changing with the UK having one of the highest rates of online purchasing in Europe. The number of internet sales are increasing every year and this puts greater pressure on the logistics network to deliver goods faster, cheaply and more flexibly. This means more investment is needed in delivering modern high-quality logistics space, including larger-scale warehouses and distribution centres.
- Creation of over 1,000 temporary jobs during the construction phase
- Creation of up to 1,650 jobs when fully occupied
- Construction investment of £73 million into Wigan
- An additional £3 million in annual business rates to Wigan Council
- Boosting Wigan’s reputation as an employment destination
- Local training and apprenticeship opportunities
Employment and Business Opportunites
There will be a range of jobs and supply chain opportunities created during construction and when the units are occupied. Whilst it is early days for the project you can register your interest in future employment opportunities here.